Unmarried Couples

An increasing number of couples are choosing to simply live together (cohabit) rather than getting married.  Problems arise when unmarried couples separate as they do not have the same legal rights as married couples have against each other.

If you own your own home and your partner has moved in, or is about to move in, you should consider having a Living Together Agreement.  This sets out the terms of who will pay for the mortgage and other utility bills and what will happen upon separation – usually that the non-owning partner has not acquired an interest in the property.

If you have lived with your partner in a property which they own, and you have paid towards any renovation projects or made regular payments towards the mortgage, you may be able to establish that you have acquired an interest in the property.  Upon separation you may be want to claim financial compensation.

We can offer advice on this complicated area of law and explain the process and your options in a clear and simple way.

These services are not available on a fixed fee basis as every couple’s circumstances are different.

As part of our commitment to making the process easier for our clients we can advise you outside office hours and at weekends as we understand that not everyone can able to take time off to see us during the working day.

Contact us today...